Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hawai`i 2009: Day 8

Today we enjoyed many of those vacation moments you dream about when it's 50 degrees, pouring down rain and you are buried in work at your office work station.

I woke at 7:30, made a fresh pot of 100% Kona coffee (simply the best tasting coffee in the world) and enjoyed several cups out on a lounge chair -- soaking up the morning sun and watching lizards climb trees.



Before breakfast, I indulged in some hot tubbing. Later, we read our books outside, stopping once for the rain and then returning when the sun returned. We enjoyed the lagoon, more hot tubbing, a late lunch and a nap.




I took my first run in the neighborhood, and the terrain is nice and flat. And the people are friendly. Being in PNW mode, I often look down or away when approaching others. Bur here people make eye contact, smile and say aloha.



Lagoon Shangrila (the name of the house) is working out very well for us. I set up my clothes and yoga mat in one of the spare bedrooms. The internet connection is fast, and last night we realized we're only about 10 minutes away from Pahoa town. We drove in for dinner at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants - Luquin's. We then walked around town to better acquaint ourselves, stopping at Cash & Carry and then Island Naturals for a few essentials.



In the past, I'd been a bit spooked by Pahoa as there seemed to be a dark element to it. In fact, many people consider it to be the perfect hiding place for FBI fugitives. Maybe it's changed, or maybe I've changed. Last night I just saw a bustling quaint town on a Saturday night with just enough options for food, drink, shops and culture.

And even a cat on a hot (wood?) roof!

No comments: