Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hawai`i 2009: Day 11

Today started with a gorgeous morning - one of the nicest we've had so far. And, our sun burns were fading so we felt like we could enjoy the sunshine again.



We decided we needed some adventure so we headed out to the Eastern most point on the island by braving the red dirt road that picks up at the end of Highway 132 near where we are staying. This point, near a light tower, is considered to have some of the most pristine air in the entire world. Governments around the globe use it as a benchmark to compare to their air. (Hawaii the Big Island Revealed, 5th Edition).



But we were not there to test air. We made it as far as we could in our rental car and then braved the long, but beautiful, hike on jagged lava rock (a`a) until we reached our destination: Champagne Pond. While not drinkable, the pond is a naturally warmed, calm, clear ocean inlet. It's perfect for warming the bones, and seeing some fish. While not a snorkeler's paradise, we did enjoy seeing some fish and a moray eel. I particularly enjoyed the ease of getting in and out of the water -- and you can't beat 90 degree water!



This is definitely a hit, and worth the extra effort of finding it.



The hike back worked up our appetites and thirst so we headed back to our home away from vacation home (Malama Market) to pick up a few more supplies before lunch and cocktail hour. I enjoyed some leisurely time in the yard, finishing up the book I picked up in Hilo on the History of the Big Island.

Dogs like the pond, too.



DanG got the snorkeling bug later in the afternoon so he wandered down to the Kapoho Tide Pools again. After finishing up my book and cleaning up the house a bit, I jogged down to meet him. The waters were starting to get rough so he called it a day, and I went for a nice run around the neighborhood. The air on one of the roads I run on smells like slow roasted maple syrup. I wonder what that is? The other day I foraged a coconut on my run and brought it back for Dan.



After a bit more outdoor time, I held back, not wanting to drift back toward the red zone. DanG finished up a scrumptious dinner (homemade Kalua Pig - and enough to eat for days!), tended to his own sun burns and we planned out tomorrow morning.

While 10 nights is a decent time away from the daily routine and often is enough to make me feel replenished, I think something deeper starts to set in after that.

No comments: