Monday, September 15, 2008

Distance Learning Courses

One day this past year while flipping through the Northwest Hawai`i Times I came across an advertisement for A'o Makua, a program offering on-line, distance learning courses in Hawaiian language and culture.

The courses are very inexpensive ($25 and $20 if you are a returning haumana), and they offer generous incentives. For the the first course I completed in February, I received a poster and a biography of Bernice Pauahi Bishop. That course, "Mo‘okū‘auhau - He Inoa ‘Ala" explored the various naming practices in ancient Hawai`i and asked us to consider the modern implications of how we use names. I found it very interesting, and I did find myself pausing to reflect on the importance of a name and how naming a child might influence his or her journey.

Two weeks ago I started on my second course: ‘Ōlelo Hawai‘i - Ku‘u Wahi Noho. This is actually the third of a three-part language series and deals with words and expressions one would use to describe his/her hometown/place of residence. Because I have been studying on my own through the 8-CD series put out by Topics Entertainment, I am not completely behind. I do think it would be wise for me to return to the first two classes at some point, though.

A`o Makua uses various platforms to teach and share information. There are audio presentations, video recordings, power point presentations, matching games, quizzes and interactive games. There are also discussion boards that receive frequent traffic, and the instructors offer individual feedback through both message boards and recordings.

Whether you are looking to increase your awareness of Hawaiian culture or ready to dive in and learn the language, A`o Makua offers a time-efficient and affordable way to learn from your own home!

No comments: